Saturday, November 5, 2011

Parenting: SIX-YEAR-OLD WISDOM


Every night I would spend 15 minutes sitting in the dark bedroom with one child while my husband sat with the other child for quiet “debriefing” time before going to sleep. Then we would switch rooms. This was our solution to the incessant calls for water, the bathroom, and other attention-getters after we had put them to bed.

One night my six year old daughter asked me,”Do you like how you are?”
“Well...yes, I do. Why do you ask?”
“And does Daddy like how he is?” She was almost asleep.
“I think so, sure.” Catching on, I asked, “Do you like how you are?”
“Uh-huh,” she yawned, “everybody has to like how they are. Megan and Sarah won't share their toys with me.”
“Oh, what seems to be the problem?”
“I think they don't like how they are. G'night, Mom.”

My six year old daughter had discovered the root of self-confidence. 

Creative Commons License Six-Year-Old Wisdom by Abby Freeborn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. For permission to use contact randmxcentric@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment